Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
SERVPRO of Richmond Hill is proud to have recently worked on restoring few units in our community housings that were damaged as a result of fires. Our neighbours were devastated but our experienced crew were rapid to respond to the projects, ensured all occupants belongings are tagged and packed or collected for cleanup, removed the damaged building materials including drywall, ceiling and flooring, and cleaned all the soot on remainder of the walls, ceilings, bathroom. All these units are receiving new fresh finishes for the tenants to move right back in. It is always the most satisfying part of our job to see the smile back on our clients' faces after such stressful events. At SERVPRO of Richmond Hill, we make it "Like it never even happened."
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (416) 912-1038
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odour.